Tuesday 9 December 2014

Brief 3: Colleen's Quilts Logo

I chose this brief as I wanted to do another logo design as I had picked up some tips from the last brief that I wanted to implement.





I started to brainstorm some potential typography options for the logo to see what styles would be appropriate for her needs and tone of her business.

I then went onto paper and sketched out various typography arrangements and how I could combine visual sewing/quilting elements with the text of the logo...

I decided to use a font from the internet but customise it on paper - this allowed me to alter elements of the letters to appear thicker...


Or have the 'hanging' element she mentioned in her brief...


I also tried to get a dashed 'sewing effect' over the top of the letters so I traced these over the previous writing


I then tried having just the first letters have the dashed lines over it


I then took my scans into illustrator and began to apply her colour schemes and the sewing elements to the text. I learned from the last brief that with logos, the simpler the better as well as seeing from the winning submissions of briefs that clients tend to like when you manipulate an element of the text to show a visual rather than having an external icon. So here I dashed the line that crosses the 't' so it simply shows that sewing element without being too detailed.

I then applied my dashed lines - I feel that this makes it a little too messy and busy.
I did briefly try a 3D version of the logo but it doesn't look appropriate to her requirements.



Final logos that I submitted...




Winning Design (not mine)


No comments:

Post a Comment